Phone scam affects Windows only? Canadian sense of humor...

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 24 09:15:23 UTC 2013

Walter Dnes <waltdnes at ...> writes:
>   It would either annoy or amuse them, depending on their mood.  At the
> risk of being called elitist, anybody who's smart enough to fight their
> way through a Linux install is smart enough to recognize this scam.
> Think of that as "the barrier". <snip>

I am not sure what to say. I cut my teeth by installing Slackware 3.0 from
diskettes and recompiling the kernel as required at the time to make my hardware
work (no modular drivers then). I would call that a 'barrier'. I would not call
booting today's live distributions from DVD and clicking install from within
those a 'barrier'. And I confess to do the latter lately. Saves time. Of course
after that I play back my binary patches on top of the new system as needed.
After 10 years of this the patch set, part sources, part binaries is larger than
the DVD heh.