Phone scam affects Windows only? Canadian sense of humor...

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 24 08:20:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:53:12AM +0000, Peter wrote
> I just read this, it seems to be related to an older scam which was canned
> recently. It is not at all clear what these people are doing, technically. How
> would this affect a linux user?

  It would either annoy or amuse them, depending on their mood.  At the
risk of being called elitist, anybody who's smart enough to fight their
way through a Linux install is smart enough to recognize this scam.
Think of that as "the barrier".  Years ago when Redhat 7.3 (RH7.3 long
before Fedora7.3) was the most popular distro, there were fake "Redhat
linux security updates" being spammed via email, as well as fake
"Windows Security Updates".  The Redhat "updates" disappeared quickly,
so they apparently didn't catch very many victims.