good deal for Nexus 7 today

Michael Hill mdhillca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 14 19:13:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I think Ubuntu on this is still a proof of concept (i.e. not useful for
> anything).

Hugh, if you're happy with Ubuntu on the small screen, it installs
easily and works well. Seems pretty good for reading book-length PDFs,
and the serial console works from the other distributions I've tried.
An external keyboard works well if you get the right USB adapter.

I bought it to run GNOME, and for that I need to be patient...
raring's gnome-shell package is too old to work with the  nVidia
driver (3.7/3.8 is supposed to fix this, but it's much too early for
them in Ubuntu). If you watch your disk space, Unity works well for
building the GNOME stack until you hit a dependency that hasn't been
implemented yet in Ubuntu (at this point one of the systemd
components). Here's the story so far:

https://live.gnome.org/MichaelHill/Nexus7

Mike