good deal for Nexus 7 today

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 14 18:53:26 UTC 2013

This looks like a good price ($200) for the Nexus 7:
<http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/id/10212407.aspx>

Normally these are $209 + shipping from Google Play store.

These seem to be fairly hackable as Android tablets go.

Wet blankets:

I think Ubuntu on this is still a proof of concept (i.e. not useful for
anything).

I'm not convinced that <http://linuxonandroid.org/> has anything useful
and they want money to work on it.

These tablets may soon be superceded by ones with cell capability.

I have a Nexus 10 which I quite like as a tablet but wish I could push
into netbook capability (decent convenient keyboard, and running a
conventional distro userland).  I love the gorgeous display, long
battery life, and silence.  The new Google Pixel sounds great: it
fixes many of these things, but using an i5 means (I think) that it
has a fan and shorter battery life.  And the price!