Top Post vs Bottom Post (was: Fedora-18 -- how to install?)

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 6 04:30:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 03:12:18PM -0500, Ansar Mohammed wrote
> I can't believe that you guys are having this conversation.
>
> It's not 1990. The majority of web, corporate and smartphone clients
> use top posting.

  This is a list by linux users for linux users.  Why should we follow
MS Windows software conventions, i.e. Outlook?  Outlook also executed
attachments at one point; does linux's failure to do so cause any
complaints?

> Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to scroll down an entire
> email thread that gets shifted bit by bit to the right on a smart
> phone?

  As Scott Adams would say "Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better
computer". http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-06-24/ Seriously, this
is a list about a PC operating system and programs, and most people read
it on PC's.  I do not want to see this list dumbed down to accomadate
the limits of an "iToy" aimed at kids logged onto Facebook or Twitter.
I'm not going out of my way to make things difficult for anybody.  On
the other hand, I'm not going out of my way... period.

  "Smartphones" are not going to replace computers, except for tasks
where a computer is wrong or overkill to begin with.  A kid or a
grandmother who wants to update their Facebook status is probably not a
candidate for a real computer.  On the other hand, doing real work often
requires a real computer.

  Yes, I do have a smartphone, an HTC Desire that I use in wifi-only
mode.  It's OK for light webbrowsing, listening to music, or FM radio,
or doing some reading whilst waiting at the doctor's office or at an
airport or a McDonald's.  It'll even take grainy snapshots.  But I don't
expect to get serious work done with it.