"normal" clock drift

Stewart Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 1 22:40:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> If you care about precise time, you really should install ntpd ...

Absolutely. It's hardly worth worrying about clock precision any more,
though there may be weird cases (like Lennart's) where it won't work.

I'm semi-seriously considering adding either GPS or rubidium oscillator
time conditioning to one of my machines. Both are surprisingly cheap
($100-ish for the bare hardware), but each has its own disadvantages. GPS
needs a skyview to produce a meaningful PPS signal. A rubidium atom clock
uses a hefty amount of power, gets just a /little/ warm, and has a finite
operating life. Decisions, decisions, ...