Linux CAD software recommendation?

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 27 17:54:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:53:01 -0400
Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> SketchUp has come along way since when I first looked at it 5 years ago.
> I have two buddies at the Hacklab.to hacker/maker space that are using
> to design and then 3D print replacement parts for professional camera
> equipment along with internal Nerf gun mechanical parts and housings.
> The quality of the parts created are being more limited by our 3D
> printer then the software.
>
> --
> Scott Sullivan

Scott,

   Can you apply dimensions with Sketch Up?   Either you are woodworking, or you are rapid prototyping.

   When I built a shed in my back yard, I did the preliminary model and drawings with SolidWorks.  This worked very well. I made all sorts of stupid carpentry mistakes on the 3D CAD, as opposed to making them in my back yard with real wood.  I was able to copy the resulting 2D drawings in DXF format, into Qcad.  A Free Software 3D parametric CAD program would be fantastic, but it will not be happening any time in the forseeable future.

   2D CAD software allows you to draw stuff to scale, then apply intelligent dimensions, that update when you stretch the feature.  This is what the original poster needs, I think.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard.gibson-PadmjKOQAFnQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org