Linux CAD software recommendation?

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 27 14:53:01 UTC 2013

On 06/25/2013 04:42 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> On 13-06-25 09:51 AM, Richard Weait wrote:
>> Now I have a little mechanical / woodworking CAD to do.  Any
>> experience-based recommendations?
>
> There is a list of 2D and 3D CAD software at the following link:
> http://reprap.org/wiki/Useful_Software_Packages#2D_and_3D_CAD_software
>
> I haven't checked how many are for Linux, or if any of the Linux
> solutions are any good. Closest to a working one is probably SketchUp
> but I don't know if that would be good enough for what you may want to
> do. I still do my 3D modelling using a program under Windows.

SketchUp has come along way since when I first looked at it 5 years ago.
I have two buddies at the Hacklab.to hacker/maker space that are using
to design and then 3D print replacement parts for professional camera
equipment along with internal Nerf gun mechanical parts and housings.
The quality of the parts created are being more limited by our 3D
printer then the software.

--
Scott Sullivan