long article about EU legislation vs. extrateritorriality of US FISA etc. rules

Mauro Souza thoriumbr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 25 22:05:15 UTC 2013

How I would do it in a "more secure than the default" way:
- on the cloud:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/myself/disk/mydisk.bin bs=1M count=10k

Export /home/myself/disk via NFS, sshfs, whatever you like. I usually use
sshfs.

- on your desktop:
sshfs root-kKzoNtG5o2GexcML3H/kdDDL28F9En1WQQ4Iyu8u01E at public.gmane.org:/home/myself/disk /mnt/point1
LOOPDEV=`sudo losetup -f`
sudo losetup -e aes $LOOPDEV /mnt/point1/mydisk.bin
sudo mount -o user  $LOOPDEV /mnt/mydisk
sudo chown -R myself /mnt/mydisk

On the first time you will use the disk, you should format it. After
losetup and before mount, issue a mkfs.ext3 $LOOPDEV (or ext4, or fat12, as
you wish). You will have an encrypted gigantic file on your NSA-friendly
cloud provider, secure ssh traffic between your desktop and the cloud, and
no secure data stored on any of your desktops. As the losetup command won't
save your password, even if someone steals (or issues a court order
requiring from you) any of your desktops, your data will be safe.
If you are super paranoid, you can create another container file locally
inside the remote container, and so on. A safe inside a safe is safer than
a safe...

Use a key-based auth to ssh on your cloud (completely disable password
logon), and USE A PASSPHRASE to unlock the key. It will put another barrier
to anyone snooping on your data.

Mauro
http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.