long article about EU legislation vs. extrateritorriality of US FISA etc. rules

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 25 17:25:44 UTC 2013

| From: Ken Heard <kenslists-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>

| I certainly see your point about virtualization, and also the differing
| meanings of "cloud".  As I wanted to I imply in my first post, I was
| talking about using the cloud as a place to store backed up user files,
| not for virtualization.  Such files would normally be packed in several
| encrypted tarballs.

That seems pretty safe.  In particular, there is no processing in the
cloud that requires an unencrypted form of the data.

Still: someone could learn when you are coming and going and connect
you-in-Canada with you-in-Thailand.  That doesn't sound bad since
there are probably already many other ways that you leak that
information.