Bluetooth LE hacking tutorial?

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 6 18:08:18 UTC 2013

I have a Raspberry Pi, a USB<->Bluetooth LE device and a bunch of Bluetooth
devices of various descriptions.  The only thing that matches my enthusiasm
is my ignorance.  Could you point me to a newbie-level tutorial for using
found bluetooth gear?

I've gotten this far.
- installed latest bluez for BLE support
- sudo hcitool lescan will find one BLE device and show me that address and
name like:
12:34:56:78:90:12 BT-thing
So, I've got that going for me.
- erm, what's next?  sudo hcitool cc {various settings} gives me "Error:
page timeout"
- on the NOT-LE side, hcitool scan has yet to see any of the older BT
devices I left nearby for the Bluetooth speed dating session.