MKL libraries

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 25 19:58:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 08:27:39PM +0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> MKL stands for, as I understand, Math Kernel Library, and these are
> owned by Intel (just around $500).
>
> I am interested in one program where these are used:
> http://inac.cea.fr/Pisp/xavier.waintal/KNIT.php
>
> But do not bother to run it as it is. I spend a few days to make it
> workable (if by chance anyone is interested though I have a receipt
> ready how to make it working on Ubuntu)
>
> The KNIT uses during linking such a thing:
>
> -lmkl_lapack -lmkl_intel_thread -lguide
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Is this true that mkl_lapack, mkl_intel_thread, and guide are
> Intel libraries? I ignored these linkings and things are working
> well.
>
> 2. Does the performance really strongly depend on that I have no these libs?
>
> 3. Is there (I guess not) any replacement from GPL word for these?

Well if you are mainly in need of an optimized BLAS, it seems goto blas
is the fastest you can get (and free).

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gcbd/vignettes/gcbd.pdf

Now a for how to get lapack to use gotoblas rather than another blas
implementation, I have no idea.  I have never dealt with it.

There is some mention here though: http://www.netlib.org/lapack/faq.html

--
Len Sorensen