MKL libraries

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 25 19:20:23 UTC 2013

| From: Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| MKL stands for, as I understand, Math Kernel Library, and these are owned by
| Intel (just around $500).

OK.

| -lmkl_lapack -lmkl_intel_thread -lguide
|
| My questions:
|
| 1. Is this true that mkl_lapack, mkl_intel_thread, and guide are Intel
| libraries? I ignored these linkings and things are working well.

lapack is open source, I think.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAPACK>

MKL is a port of this code.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_Kernel_Library>
Porting can involve non-trivial (human) optimization, especially of
the BLAS.

| 2. Does the performance really strongly depend on that I have no these libs?

Probably, but "strongly" is subjective.

| 3. Is there (I guess not) any replacement from GPL word for these?

I assume that you can just compile lapack with a generic non-optimal
BLAS.  I don't have any first-hand experience with this stuff (and
surely you must).

I last looked into this stuff 30 years ago when I coded up a part of
a BLAS for linpack.

Have you considered asking Xavier Waintal of the KNIT project?