Booting Linux using UEFI can brick Samsung laptops

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 31 14:42:14 UTC 2013

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Booting-Linux-using-UEFI-can-brick-Samsung-laptops-1793958.html

> "Linux and Bricks Booting Linux using UEFI just once on various
> Samsung laptops is enough to permanently stop them working.... the
> problem is likely to also be present in other Linux distributions, as
> it appears to be caused by a kernel driver for Samsung laptops. Kernel
> developers are currently discussing a change which would disable the
> driver when booting via UEFI."

Ha, its new. If its bricked, just ship it back and get another one:)

By the way, it seem secure boot is not yet a big problem. If you want to
duo boot Windows 8, disable uefi, reinstall window8 on legacy BIOS and you
can then run any Linux system alongside it.

Not that I have used windows 8 more than an hour, was just an exercise to
satisfy my curiosity

William