changing youtube video

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 19 21:49:57 UTC 2013

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | I met with this nice movie on youtube concerning science in general and
> | thinking, close to philosophy:
> |
> | http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&list=PL25D581BA7A64EF48&v=JnWyPIzTOTw
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Privileged_Planet>
>
>      "The Privileged Planet: How Our Place in the Cosmos is Designed
>      for Discovery is a book by Guillermo Gonzalez and Jay Richards
>      which claims scientific evidence for intelligent design. Both
>      Gonzalez and Richards are associated with the Discovery Institute,
>      identified with the intelligent design movement; Gonzalez works as
>      a senior fellow of the Discovery Institute's Center for Science
>      and Culture."
>
> Yeah, it is philosophy: Intelligent Design, the current version of
> Creationism.
>
> Narration by John Rhys-Davies certainly adds gravitas.

IIRC, that Discovery Institute was exposed in a PBS Nova about some
people trying to introduce "Intelligent Design" into schools in Dover,
Pennsylvania.  The also had a book called "Of Pandas and People",
supposedly about intelligent design.  This case went to court, where the
book was shown to be originally about creationism and they did a sloppy
cut 'n paste job to turn it into intelligent design.  They also
misquoted a scientist to claim the opposite of what he actually said.
Also, some of the people trying to bring ID to that school system were
charged with perjury.

Bottom line, Intelligent Design is about the exact same stuff as
creationism, but with a different label.  This means, like creationism,
it's absolute nonsense.

BTW, did you know there are "museums" in the U.S. that show humans and
dinosaurs as contemporaries.  That is the sort of absolute garbage that
comes from religious beliefs.  You have to be delusional to believe that
nonsense.  No ifs ands or buts.