Using Git in a Windows environment?

Dev Guy devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 28 05:12:05 UTC 2013

Scott,

I use GIT both on Linux and Windows. My suggestion is to use the GIT
console, its really easy and much more efficient. You can create aliases if
you don't like typing =)

You can type gitk from inside a git repository, a nice UI for browsing your
git repo history and changes will pop up! It's only a viewer.

For Windows you will want to install git from: http://msysgit.github.com/

Git comes with it's own shell, I highly suggest you use it, DON'T try to
use GIT from cygwin or msys or via CMD shell or (VC++ shell if you're using
VisualStudio), you will get mixed results. The GIT shell provided some unix
like commands found in msys or cygwin.

If you have not come across this free book (Git Pro):
http://git-scm.com/book

I'd recommend you study it, it's an easy read!

Finally I suggest you checkout Bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/
It's a free public and private repository with no restriction on space! So
forget github or gitorious, I've tried both, but I love Bitbucket, I host
all my stuff on bitbucket.

GIT was designed for the command line to be easy to use, using a UI is
overkill and it will actually slow you down imho!

--
Rajinder Yadav <labs-Jh1nsjtb8cBrovVCs/uTlw at public.gmane.org> <labs-Jh1nsjtb8cBrovVCs/uTlw at public.gmane.org>

DevMentor Labshttp://labs.devmentor.org
Creating Amazing Possibilities

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> This is a wisdom of the crowd question.
>
> If I had to use Git in a windows environment, what utilities would you
> recommend to make it easier?
>
> So far I've found. http://msysgit.github.com/
>
> If I was to make git more accessible for a first time user, what GUIs have
> people found worth while?
>

> Please limit your answers to git. I know there are equally capable other
> revision control systems, but they are not the focus of my inquiry.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Scott Sullivan

Kind Regards,