Little linux backup box - wisdom required

Stewart Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 21 22:37:36 UTC 2013

All this talk of drive features has got me questioning my backup strategy,
which is somewhere between ad hoc and none at all. I'm considering setting
up the following box:
* QNAP TS-419P II 4-bay NAS: <
http://www.qnap.com/useng/?lang=en-us&sn=862&c=355&sc=688&t=695&n=3888>
* 4x WD Red 2TB drives.
* Crashplan cloud backup for all my (cross-platform)  machines and the NAS
itself. Anything that can't run Crashplan (not sure how well the Java
client would run on a Raspberry Pi ...) would rsync to the NAS box, which
itself would be running Crashplan.

The QNAP is a little ARM Linux box. I'm not really looking to build a
custom box unless it's cheaper, quieter and uses less power than the QNAP.
It supports a bunch of RAID levels, so could in theory could be a 6TB
RAID5, or a 4TB RAID6 (less the usual system and marketing overhead). I'm
more interested in data integrity than flat-out transfer speed.

If a single drive failed, would either of these RAID levels be able to
realistically carry on without data loss until I replaced the faulty unit?

Is it really worth going for non-sequential serial numbers on the drives?
Apart from buying a single drive from different stores, how would one do
this?

Wisdom appreciated, thanks. Point-and-laugh is also okay, as long as you
say why, and what you'd do better.

cheers,
 Stewart

--