Little linux backup box - wisdom required

Jason Shaw grazer-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 22 15:10:58 UTC 2013

I run debian on a DreamPlug (
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-dreamplugdetails.aspx ) that
has an eSATA JBoD box hooked up to it with software RAID1.  It runs
samba for sharing media, BackupPC for rsync backups of the other
computers in the house, Transmission Daemon for downloads, and a few
other things.  The eSATA connection is faster than USB, although in
hindsight, I sort of wish I'd bought an eSATA box with hardware RAID
as the little ARM processor struggles occasionally with the software
RAID.

I've been running this for around 6 months now and it's been fine.
Need to do some rewiring of the house though so that my Boxee Box can
stop using wireless for streaming, but that's nothing to do with
backup solutions.

-jason