Little linux backup box - wisdom required

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 22 01:31:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 17:37:36 -0500
Stewart Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> All this talk of drive features has got me questioning my backup strategy,
> which is somewhere between ad hoc and none at all. I'm considering setting
> up the following box:
> * QNAP TS-419P II 4-bay NAS: <
> http://www.qnap.com/useng/?lang=en-us&sn=862&c=355&sc=688&t=695&n=3888>
> * 4x WD Red 2TB drives.
> * Crashplan cloud backup for all my (cross-platform)  machines and the NAS
> itself. Anything that can't run Crashplan (not sure how well the Java
> client would run on a Raspberry Pi ...) would rsync to the NAS box, which
> itself would be running Crashplan.

Stewart,

   My back up strategy is my second hard drive.  I use tar to back up /home every night, /etc every week, and /usr/local every month.  Periodically, I copy the tarballs to disc.  I now have a BluRay burner, so I do not have to compress the backups.  Recently, just for the heck of it, I did a recovery from the BluRay and I verified that everything worked.

   I burn the tarball directly to the disc.  I don't make an ISO.  Only I need to read this stuff.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard.gibson-PadmjKOQAFnQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org