Ubuntu Network Restart Required with Rogers (?) and Setting Modem Password

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 11 21:30:24 UTC 2013

This seems timely:

https://www.eviscerati.org/comics/comic/hd/2013/02/Its-Modem

=====
CUSTOMER: I'm having a problem with my DSL access. I can't seem to--

ALEX: --it's the modem, sir.

CUSTOMER: Wait, I don't think it's the modem, because I can still--

ALEX: --it's the modem.

CUSTOMER: Look, I'm telling you--

ALEX: --sir, if you really want, I'll be happy to go through all the
tests that I'm required to put you through, including all the tests
you've already done, and including the tests that will insult your
intelligence because that's exactly what they're designed to do. After
that I'll probably escalate you to your advanced tech support line, and
whoever gets the call will force you to repeat all those tests, and will
then run a few more that are just as idiotic, frustrating, insulting,
and time-consuming.

ALEX: After that, regardless of what we find, we'll recommend you
upgrade your modem to our newest model. Once you receive that modem,
there is a 99% chance that your DSL service will be restored, regardless
of what the actual problem was to begin with.

(Silence.)

CUSTOMER: I think I'd like to upgrade my modem now.

ALEX: I'll transfer you to sales.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>         http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413