Ubuntu Network Restart Required with Rogers (?) and Setting Modem Password

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 11 20:54:09 UTC 2013

| From: Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org>

| I do not trust any ISP to manage gear for me.

Cannot always be avoided.  I have a VDSL2 modem.  It gets firmware
updates (and who knows what else) pushed by the ISP.  Same as Rogers
modems.

If they push firmware, they've got a lot of control.

|  I had Roger configure the
| router to only function as a modem.

Do you actually have to have Rogers do that?  I didn't (with my DOCSIS
2 (i.e. old)) modem.  Or with my sequence of ADSL and VDSL2 modems.
Too bad that the wireless portion (if any) goes to waste or worse (i.e.
becomes a security hole).

Bell forced my ISP to force me to rent a VDSL2 modem with wireless
(and bugs).

BTW, Rogers keeps changing the deals underneath me.  Without informing
me to my satisfaction.

I bought my modem from Rogers because they said that I'd get "Extreme"
service at no additional cost over the lower tier if I did so.  I
think that they forgot that promise.

Furthermore, I think that I'm paying for more speed than my modem
can deliver.  They haven't told me that.  When a Rogers sales person
phoned to review my account, they could not answer questions about
that.

| I run my owner router behind it.

Me too.

| do not user their DNS servers.

Me too.  A few weeks ago, Rogers DNS server went down for an evening.
Everyone was upset.  Made the papers.  I only knew by reading online
complaints because I do my own DNS.

| I'm even toying with tunneling all
| traffic via VPN to a gateway elsewhere.

I tunnel some traffic.  One reason: Rogers blocks outgoing Port 25.
The other end of my tunnel is in Amsterdam, but I don't seem to need
to put extra stamps on my mail.  I only use that mail server when my
DSL gateway isn't working.