Conversation with Rogers

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 10 13:11:34 UTC 2013

Maxcess wrote:
> Holly Shit!
> Does Rogers use an AI now!?
> Tracey's comments are so robotic!

I find they're not allowed to deviate from the official line.  I have
been using SSL/TLS with them for quite a while.  I recently discovered
that the Yahoo digital certificate (Rogers uses Yahoo for email) had
expired, which causes a warning message when I tried to send an email.
While I allowed the exception, I first tried to report this via Yahoo,
but Rogers customers are supposed to go through Rogers support.  They
insisted that SSL/TLS was not supported.  When I pointed out that such a
policy would leave customers using public WiFi hot spots vulnerable to
snooping they insisted that plain SMTP was all they support.  In the
end, I wound up opening a Yahoo account and reporting the issue that way
and the certificate was updated within a few days.

In general, I find Rogers support to be OK and much better than Bell,
but some times they get stuck on bad policy, instead of providing
appropriate support.