Does KDE really suck this much?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 25 00:24:47 UTC 2013

On 22/12/13 09:40 AM, Matt Price wrote:
> So, after a certain amount of work I have arch Linux installed on my new
> laptop. I thought I would give KDE a try, so installed the kde-meta package
> and booted up smoothly into KDE. It is so ugly! And its not at all obvious
> to me how to do most basic things. Has anyone made the switch from unity or
> gnome, and do you like it, and can you recommend some resources former
> beginners? I've been using Linux for a decade so don't need intros to
> basics, but the GUI really baffled me .l- I feel like my mother confronted
> with a new tablet. Never thought that would happen to me...

Try alt+f2 to bring up krunner - it's like Gnome/Unity thing where you
type what you want to run. Or in the menu there's a search box as well.

KDE is what you make of it, so if you feel like fiddling I guarantee you
can customize it to your liking via the UI settings.

Yakuake is indispensable in any desktop environent - it isn't a KDE
specific app, it works better than in Gnome or others.

Cheers, Jamon