home audio system

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 19 22:55:16 UTC 2013

I'm sure you guys did your cost analysis... but, wouldn't it be cheaper
with a low-end laptop or mini-PC box?

- I got bitten by ARM fad and bought BeagleBone Black.  My cost for the
  board itself was $60.  Then, I was looking at microSD,
  microHDMI-to-HDMI cable, HDMI-to-DVI cable (my monitor is DVI), 5V
  regulated DC power block with 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel connector and with
  good transient response (surprisingly difficult to find).  All these
  add up to real money.

- Dealing with flaky Angstrom OS, Debian, and Ubuntu was another issue.

- You learn how to install ARM Debian/Ubuntu, and learned how to
  work-around their proprietary booting process and subsystems.  All
  these knowledge/experience will become obsolete when they release next
  version.  So, you end up doing their QA for free, well actually, you
  pay for the privilege of doing their QA for them.
--
William