home audio system

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 16 20:55:42 UTC 2013

FWIW, earlier this year I decided to pull the plug on Rogers and go
antenna+Internet.

Process so far:

   - Get Rogers out for everything, replaced by teksavvy 50M DSL and a
   Usenet account
   - Got  a Channel Mater antenna which feeds into an HDHomerun
   - Ubuntu server running Plex Media Server, TVHeadend, Sickbeard,
   CouchPotato and Deluge
   - Clients are a mix of XBMC and Plex (unfortunately, each has its own
   set of insufferable flaws):
      - The main room is a Win7 PC because it is proxied to get US Netflix,
      Pandora, Hulu, BBC iPlayer as well as Plex Home Theater
      - I have two Pis running RasPlex and OpenELEC (haven't picked between
      them yet)
      - Seriously considering the CuBox <http://cubox-i.com/> to replace
      the Pi's -- less fragile case and built-in IR receivers

Still having problems making the TVheadend PVR work. I've been
experimenting with a few different remotes but haven't yet found one I
completely like.
But generally happy overall, and I'm paying $200 a month less than I used
to.

Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada

Em: evan at telly dot org