home audio system

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 13 00:58:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Matt Price <moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> [ ... ] I want to build a
> linux-powered home audio system, if possible organized around one or
> more rap-berry Pi/beaglebone/whatever low-power systems that I don't
> feel too bad about leaving on most of the time.

I'm doing something like this and gave a presentation on it at KWLUG this year.

[ ... ]
> (1) file server, that provides the actual audio files somehow

I use squeezeserver / LogitechMediaServer, because of some of the
hardware I use.  I suggest that you not use this unless you have to.
:-)

> (2) audio server, that turns them into some kind of an audio stream.
> should be able to handle mp3, m4a, ogg and flac, if poss. is probably
> the same object as (1), above

This part seems to work well on LMS, so devices that can handle flac,
get flac.  If they can't,
they get mp3 or whatever they need.

In my case, yes, the file server is the media server / player controller.

> (3) device that takes the audio stream and feeds it into 1 or more
> stereos (I think actually 2 minimum, one upstairs in bedroom, one
> downstairs in living room)

I have the squeezbox devices that lead to my use of LMS.  They connect
RCA <-> RCA to the stereo, or mini-phono <-> mini-phono to powered
speakers.

I also use RaspberryPi mini-phono <-> mini-phono to powered speakers.
Nice.  :-)

> (4) client device that controls what stream is being fed to the two
> stereos and optimally can also play a local stream.   (3), above,
> potentially may also be a case of (4), but ideally there are also
> clients that run on at least Linux and Android (iOS would be nice too
> but isn't necessary and anyway my wife should switch!).

I like this part of LMS.  It can stream different audio to each
player, or synchronize them.  Yes, I have a client running on Linux
laptop / desktops as well.  Haven't tried Android client.  Haven't
tried iOS.  What is iOS? :-)

> (5) I would prefer to use as much Free software as possible, but will
> compromise to make something that my family can use easily.  They
> enjoy XBMC, so I know it's possible to turn them from the Dark Side if
> the interface is good enough.

Gotcha.  So, look at LMS if all else fails.  Works for me at the moment.  :-)