Women and TLUG - a personal rant

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 10 01:39:14 UTC 2013

Hi Renata: I've only been to one TLUG meeting, although I've been to a
number of other tech events in Toronto at Linuxcaffe and Free Geek. And
not just the grass-roots events like LUGs and Ubuntu Hours, but also the
big commercial events at the Convention Centre, &c. And I go to _many_
tech events in Kitchener-Waterloo.

I've got to say I haven't seen or heard of any sexist experiences at any
of the events I go to. I don't know if that's because I wouldn't
tolerate it if it happened around me, or because it just hasn't happened
around me, or maybe because I've been oblivious.

I hope you'll come to Aruna's Ubuntu Hour this Saturday.  As an Ubuntu
event any non-inclusive behaviour is not tolerated. That doesn't mean
that people don't get passionate about their ideas. Just mention "Unity
vs. Gnome" or "Emacs vs. vi" and see if the volume of the discussion
doesn't go up. And while it's likely there is going to be a gender
imbalance at Saturday's Ubuntu Hour, there will be other women present.

Maybe give the TLUG meeting tomorrow another chance too.  Now that we've
been alerted to undesireable behaviour I expect everyone will be on the
lookout for it, and will deal with it before it has a chance to occur again.

--Bob.

(Agreement with The Ubuntu Code of Conduct is required at any event
using the Ubuntu name. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hour and
http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/conduct )

What: Ubuntu Hour Toronto
When: Saturday, 14 December 2013 2:00pm – 4:00pm EDT
Where: Dufferin Mall, 900 Dufferin Street, Toronto, ON M6H 1K8
Registration: http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-ca/2659/detail/
(optional, but appreciated)