Ubuntu Hour - Toronto

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 6 04:51:44 UTC 2013

| From: Aruna Hewapathirane <aruna.hewapathirane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Do keep an open mind though, Canonical has formed a partnership with Amazon
| that generates revenue for them which is a good thing

Yeah, their business model is a little unclear.

	Q: how do you make a small fortune in the Linux distro
	   business?

	A: start with a large fortune.

A really tough problem.

| that allows them to
| keep supporting FOSS that being said it should not be at the price of
| losing ones identity is all am saying ?

The support for FOSS from Canonical is a little mixed.  Ubuntu is
great as a poster child distro.  They've made Linux more approachable.
But their support of the rest of FOSS has been pretty minor or even
disruptive.

================

Your attempt to create an event is great.

Is there any particular reason that being exclusively Ubuntu makes it
better?

Certainly TLUG/GTALUG could use new initiatives.  By that, I don't
mean that the old ones have run their course, but that innovation is a
Good Thing.

Having new things in different parts of the city from downtown might
activate a new crowd (however good coffee and transit might suffer
from that migration).

None of this is a request, only some possible ideas.  Certainly not
intended to change what's already half-organized.