Ubuntu Hour - Toronto

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 6 00:25:27 UTC 2013

Am sorry I did not mean it the way it must have sounded and I have the
greatest respect and liking for our kernel developers absolutely no issues
there. Maybe am being paranoid but like Linux in it's original inception I
want security to be the cornerstone so again my sincere apologies to any
kernel devs I may have unintentionally offended was not at all the
intention. Simply wanted to raise awareness that privacy is a issue with
the recent distros.

Been a while since I compiled a kernel, I used to go to the mainline
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ but your shell apt-get sure
rocks, many thank's :-)

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On 05/12/13 05:57 PM, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
> > Yes Randy you can disable but how can you be certain that the kernel does
> > not have a mod that specifically tracks and sends data back to who knows
> > where ? I feel a lot safer with the old kernels :-)
>
> Two reasons:
>
> 1a) Trust that Ubuntu kernel devs aren't jerks.
>
> 1b) That the community of outside kernel devs & users would spot such a
> modification.
>
> 2) Corollary to 1b - You can download the source code and build a binary
> yourself to verify on whatever terms you choose. Try it yourself:
> apt-get source $(uname -r)
>
> Jamon

*Aruna Hewapathirane*
Consultant/Trainer