Ubuntu Hour - Toronto

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 6 00:18:30 UTC 2013

On 05/12/13 05:57 PM, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
> Yes Randy you can disable but how can you be certain that the kernel does
> not have a mod that specifically tracks and sends data back to who knows
> where ? I feel a lot safer with the old kernels :-)

Two reasons:

1a) Trust that Ubuntu kernel devs aren't jerks.

1b) That the community of outside kernel devs & users would spot such a
modification.

2) Corollary to 1b - You can download the source code and build a binary
yourself to verify on whatever terms you choose. Try it yourself:
apt-get source $(uname -r)

Jamon