Ubuntu Hour - Toronto

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 5 22:53:32 UTC 2013

On Dec 5, 2013 5:48 PM, "Aruna Hewapathirane" <aruna.hewapathirane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> >Not to start a flame war, but after I got used to the workflow of Unity,
I admit I like it.  My apps are all available with >a few key strokes and
Unity tweak tool lets me optimize many things like window pan etc.
Although I admit I >spend most of my day in terminal or eclipse.

> Think about this carefully, before Unity we did not have Amazon ads
showing up in the Software Centre ? And everything you search for IS
tracked and monitored by Amazon so they can throw up targeted ads ? I have
no idea if Cannonical tracks or archives what we search for but I am not
comfortable when I see what I do is being monitored and tracked. To me this
is a invasion of privavcy where one is not given the freedom to choose what
one wishes to share if one so chooses. I have nothing against unity but
simply does not work for me. And am not happy about what they went and did
to Nautilus either, easily patched but it is still work and am a lazy coder
:-)

> Though I jest in all seriousness the privacy issues are very real and
disturbing.  You may want to set up two systems one running Karmic the
other 13.10 and monitor system resource utilization using top. I was
frankly quite surprised to say the least. So uh-uh am happy with my
gnome-classic :-)

I agree about the invasion of privacy. I'm disturbed about that as well but
the unity tweak tool let's me disable that feature.

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Randy Jonasz <rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 13-12-05 05:16 PM, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
>>
>>>  I fell in love with Ubuntu Karmic but then canonical had to go mess
with  simplicity and efficicncy and gave us Unity which I personally do not
much care for. Unity has it's place in the mobile and touch devices but
they should have continued the gnome desktp AND had a distro for other
devices with Unity. That's my 2cents or they should have given the user the
option to choose which to use ? Not stuff Unity down our throats! )

>> Of course there are ubuntu distros dedicated to various flavours of
desktops.

>> Not to start a flame war, but after I got used to the workflow of Unity,
I admit I like it.  My apps are all available with a few key strokes and
Unity tweak tool lets me optimize many things like window pan etc.
Although I admit I spend most of my day in terminal or eclipse.

>> Randy
>>
>> Do not ask who I am and do not ask me to remain the same:
>> leave it to our bureaucrats and our police to see that our
>> papers are in order. At least spare us their morality when
>> we write.
>> --Michel Foucault

attending the Toronto Ubuntu Hour. This is the first time I am organizing
this so please be gentle as it is very much a learning process for me.

the next week-end. Location has tenatively been decided on the Coffee Time
at Lansdowne and Bloor will be sending directions once folks confirm
attendance. The location is of course open to discussion and change
depending on convenience for other to access.

anything else that would make this event a success.

and after we can go have beer ? If I can convince "one" other person to
explore Ubutnu as a alternative operating system I will be a happy cookie !

that "I" am the only one single person using Linux Ubuntu. So please prove
me wrong and respond gentlemen ( ..and ladies of course :-)