Java multi CPU capabilities

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 29 13:49:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:07:28AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I don't use Java.  Ted doesn't use Java.  I think Lennart must have
> used Java but has been trying to expunge the memory ever since.

No I have tried being a sysadmin in the past trying to help developers
install a version of java that would work with a given piece of shit
java class provided by some third party that as usual (for java class
developers) couldn't botehr to specify which revision of java they
required.  Add to that my serious dislike of object oriented code, and
java has no hope of being appreciated by me.  The existence and bizarre
popularity of the garbage named eclipse hasn't helped the situation.

> So what we say is unreliable in that sense.  But we each know a bunch
> of things about coumputer systems in general.

I certainly know how it ought to work, and what my quick google searches
say java does or should do.  It all says it should work for multithreaded
code.  As long as more than one thread is actually trying to do something
of course.  Obviously having 200 threads with only one trying to do any
work will only get you one cpu core busy.

> I don't know why switches would be green or native.  I hope that this
> is an irrelevant detail.

I don't even think I want to know what it means.

--
Len Sorensen