Java multi CPU capabilities

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 29 13:40:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 08:03:04PM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
> My bad. Agree, that a serious error on my side.
>
> But how do you achieve that if your application is restricted without a
> container that is only single kernel threaded?

I so far can't find anything on google saying JVMs only support running
threads on one CPU.  I can only find things that say the opposite.

> That seem to be the case
>
> Not necessary.  Sure, you can have as many threads as you want in the
> container, but if that container just make a single kernel thread, you
> wouldn't be able to spread the thread across more than one CPU.
>
> That's what I am observing on both openjdk and sun Java.

Are you telling me java is even dumber that I had thought it was?  Really?
That's pathetic.

>From what I can find, there is supposed to be java thread pools and such
that claim they work with the host CPUs to take advantage of them.

> Casually check any server running Java based system and you will see the
> whole application look like a single process to the operating system.  How
> do you explain that?

I don't think I have any such thing around.  Java is a 4 letter word
after all. :)

--
Len Sorensen