Optimus vs. Iris vs. old-fashioned Intel Graphics (WAS: : laptop advice time...)

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 23 21:57:25 UTC 2013

Hey Folks,

OK,
 so I feel I've narrowed it down to a Thinpad T430 or a System76
Galago Pro (very different machines).  Before ordering I wanted to as
what kind of experiences folks have had with the following graphics
cards:

- Intel HD 4000 (the default choice on the T430)
- NVidia NVS 5400M (fancy choice on the T430, uses Optimus, which I
guess requires bumblebee to work properly)
- Intel Iris Pro 5200, the only choice on the Galago

I'm not a gamer, and while I enoy watching movies on the laptop that's
a very secondary funciton.  However, my son has been playing a lot of
minecraft and is 10 years old, so will be 13 or so before this laptop
dies.  He often asks to borrow my computer to play games, and I would
lie him to be able to play at least a little.

What do you thin? Do you have any of these cards, are you satisfied
with them, are they well supported under linux?

Thanks!
Matt