laptop advice time...

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 23 15:53:15 UTC 2013

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> My wife once spilled soy sauce in her old compaq laptop.  It didn't like
> that at all.  It did come back to life after I spent a couple of days
> cleaning every piece of the keyboard and mainboard and drying it all.
> i had to tae apart all the layers of the keyboard to clean out everything.
> What a mess.

Back when I was a computer tech, I often washed off circuit boards with
hot water and then dried them with compressed nitrogen.  Never a
problem.  You can also use alcohol to flush out the water.  Water will
not harm electronic devices, though it's a good idea to keep is away
from some mechanical devices..  In fact, circuit boards are often washed
with steam and hot water on the production line.  If you spill something
corrosive, such as juice or soft drinks you want to rinse it off as
quickly as possible.