laptop advice time...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 23 14:25:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 11:15:12AM -0300, Mauro Souza wrote:
> On my previous job I had Thinkpads, from T40 to a T410. All run Linux fine,
> almost everything worked out of the box.
>
> My last one (T410) got half a litre cup of orange juice all over his
> keyboard while turned on and working hard. I was working on something I
> couldn't afford to lose, and I thought I had already lost the notebook.
> I got it under a running sink, dropped a lot of water on it (still powered
> on) and let it working hard until it got dry. It worked even better,
> because it cleaned the keyboard. I had it for 6 months since then, and
> never had any trouble with it. Sadly I changed jobs and had to return it.
> My new job gave me a Dell Inspiron, and I miss my Thinkpad a lot. I was
> even considering buying a T430S, but I won't for now, as I don't need to.

So the waterproof tray with the drain holes through the laptop actually
work?  I have never dared test it.

My wife once spilled soy sauce in her old compaq laptop.  It didn't like
that at all.  It did come back to life after I spent a couple of days
cleaning every piece of the keyboard and mainboard and drying it all.
i had to tae apart all the layers of the keyboard to clean out everything.
What a mess.

--
Len Sorensen