laptop advice time...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 23 14:34:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 05:31:02PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> so, sounds like a whole raft of endorsements for another thinkpad!
> Does anyone out there have a system76 laptop?  After some surfing, I'm
> wondering whether to give them a try this time around.

Given I am very much not a fan of Ubuntu, I certainly see nothing great
about them. :)

Looking at the pictures they look pretty well made.  They have some
mistakes (like HDMI instead of displayport on the profesional laptop is
not acceptable.  Displayport is much more flexible for high res displays.
HDMI is for consumers using a TV to watch a video).  They also don't
say which intel wifi module they use.  That's important information.
After all a 1000 is not the same as a 6300 or even a 6250.  You would
want the 6300 out of those ones.  And max of 16GB ram in a pro model?
Really?  My W530 can hold 32GB ram.  OK the W530 costs more, but also
includes an nvidia quadro kepler GPU, not just intel graphics.

With just their touchpad, I am not sure they they are doing the 3 button
mouse X requires.  Thinkpads of course have a 3 button pointer stick,
as well as the 2 button touchpad which makes that easy.

--
Len Sorensen