laptop advice time...

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 24 00:06:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:06:21AM -0400, Randy Jonasz wrote:
>> If you're looking for a desktop replacement I'd recommend the asus
>> g75vw.  I use one at work with Ubuntu and Windows 8.  It can take 2
>> hard drives and has 4 slots for ram.  Ubuntu just works with it.
>
> But windows 8 is unusable without some add ons to restore a sane UI.
>
> And what a monster in size.
>
> Also appears to use Atheros wifi which is nowhere near as good as
> intel wifi.

Yeah it's funny.  Ubuntu drives the Atheros wireless without a
problem.  The driver for windows 8 written by qualcom connects to
wireless routers at work but my dd-wrt router at home is a no go.  I
have a usb wireless adapter so I can connect at home.  :(