laptop advice time...

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 23 02:55:48 UTC 2013

On 22/08/13 10:12 PM, Andrej Marjan wrote:
> Lots of controversy about whether it's ever safe, whether it's OK so long
> as you encrypt the device before using it for anything sensitive, whether
> you need robust TRIM support to not kill the device with full disk
> encryption, the sorry state of TRIM support in currently shipping distros...

I have a fully luks encrypted disk with TRIM support running Debian. It
takes 3 things:

1) add these options to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX: allow-discards root_trim=yes
2) add "discard" to relevant partitions in /etc/crypttab
3) issue periodic fstrim commands. I do this once a day with cron

Each distro seems to be different though, YMMV.

Cheers, Jamon