laptop advice time...

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 23 02:12:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Consider adding an mSATA SSD.  The w530 and T520 have a slot for that
> (unless you are using the slot for a wireless (cell) card).

I was thinking about adding one to my own Thinkpad, then thought to check
how full disk encryption plays with SSDs. Then my head exploded.

Lots of controversy about whether it's ever safe, whether it's OK so long
as you encrypt the device before using it for anything sensitive, whether
you need robust TRIM support to not kill the device with full disk
encryption, the sorry state of TRIM support in currently shipping distros...

Is there really a concern here or did I just stumble on a bunch of outdated
discussion? There's no way I'd use unencrypted storage of any sort in a
laptop.

As for Thinkpad keyboards, I used to *love* the old IBM-style keyboards,
and I have one at home. Then I got a new machine with a chiclet keyboard at
work, and now that I'm switching between them daily, I'm not 100% satisfied
with either. The chiclets feel a little better than the old ones, but they
include a few truly stupid layout decisions.