laptop advice time...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 22 05:07:28 UTC 2013

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| I have a W530, and I am very happy with it so far.  The keyboard is really
| nice on it (and backlit in my case).  As far as I know the W530 is
| very similar to a T530, except it has a different graphics chip line,
| and twice as many ram slots.
|
| I believe the T430 is similar to the T530 other than screen size and
| physical dimensions.
|
| I expect the linux compatibility to be quite good, but I must admit
| I don't actually know yet.  I got it in November and I still haven't
| had time to install Linux on it.

Yikes!

W530 seems fine under Linux (Fedora).  We haven't exploited the nvidia
chip.

Ditto for T520 (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) (some undiagnosed freezes, mostly while
watching videos).

|  Note that I did have a daughter born
| the same week i got the W530, so i have a valid excuse,

Congratulations!

| I did just upgrade the disk to a 1TB so make room to install linux,
| so I will probably do it soon.

Consider adding an mSATA SSD.  The w530 and T520 have a slot for that
(unless you are using the slot for a wireless (cell) card).

|  Then I get to play with bumblebee to
| see how the intel/nvidia graphics switching works.

Tell us how that works out.