decent mega-monitor?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 15 02:09:00 UTC 2013

| From: ted leslie <ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Yes its a http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1644/   quad dual view dual link
| dvi. So 10 video cables go into it,
| 4 computers with two sets of dvi each, and one set to actual monitors. On
| keyboard ctrl sequence, it switch both monitors
| across to selected computer, and it multiplex the keyboard, mouse, usb, and
| audio.

Right.

I have a GCS1784 but haven't yet installed it (4 computers, one
dual-link DVI monitor).

| So I don't understand, you say dual link dvi should be able to drive a 4k
| but no tv has that dual link port, so what does a 4k tv have?

The one I pointed to ONLY has HDMI.

Lennart points out that DVI-to-HDMI cannot drive this monitor in 4K
mode (HDMI's spec has moved beyond single-link DVI and there is no
sensible conversion from dual-link DVI to high-bandwidth HDMI (i.e.
nothing beyond what single-link can do).

Other (way more expensive) 4K TV monitors have other provisions.  You
can infer something about them from the (unclear) tables in
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution>

| and can i
| convert with a simple adapter plug of some kind?

For some, 2xDLDVI provides the input.  Of course that means the video
card driver has to know how to split the frame over two video outputs.

| Also, I am wondering, wouldn't the kvm have to support the resolution
| specifically?

For some (expensive) monitors, I think your KVM could support one
monitor (not two).

| I do have a cable that plugs in the nvidia dvi and goes to hdmi on a 50"
| plasma, so it would be something like that?

No.  That is limited to 1920x1200 @ 60.

HDMI itself (if your card has the current standard) can do more.
That's what Lennart clarified.

What a mess.