decent mega-monitor?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 14 20:47:07 UTC 2013

| From: ted leslie <ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| SWEET! but at that price, say compared to the HP 30" at double+$ the 39"
| Seiki, you have to wonder
| if it is not going to compare?

What I want is the mass market to supply the things I want.  I've been
really disappointed in the lack of price movement, takeup and
improvement of 30" 2560x1600 monitors.  I've had mine for 7.5 years
(almost 4 cycles of Moore's law).

Analogy: I bought a couple of Sun workstations (sequentially) but
eventually the PC got good enough and I saved a bundle and had a lot
of choices.  Of course the PCs were not made to the mechanical
standards or sanity of Suns, but they sure were good enough.

I keep expecting higher resolution to become mas market.  The glimmers
of hope are:

- Apple "retina" displays

- tablets and cell phones in resolution wars

- "4k" TV around the corner.

This 39" Seiki is almost good enough (on paper).  And a very nice
price considering that there is no competition to speak of.

| Also, i have a 800$ quad dual-dual-link dvi kvm, and I am guessing it isn't
| going to support this
| quadHD res. :(

I don't know what a dual-dual-link DVI KVM is.  Does it switch pairs
of DVI connections, each of which is dual-link?  I assume "quad"
means that four different computer systems are connected to the
switch, exactly one of which is actually connected to the keyboard,
video, and mouse (+USB probably).

I think that it would work, but I don't know.  DVI and single-link
HDMI are or were essentially the same: a cable with two appropriate
connectors are all you need for conversion, I think.  At 30 Hz, HDMI
*can* drive this monitor, but I'm not sure that that's within specs
for single-link DVI.

|   and would there even be a dual monitor pairing kvm for
| this yet. I guess I can
| get a separate KVM just for one of them at first, and add it to my current
| dual 30" setup,

HDMI switches can be quite inexpensive ($20?) but they are made for
video and don't have any keyboard capability.

| Keep us (well free to email direct to me) updated if you get anymore info,
| or get to see one.

Are you visiting the US soon?  With a car? :-)

I hope that 6 months or a year of patience might be rewarded with
something like this with a higher-bandwidth input.  $700 is hard to
resist.  The price seems to have crept down: maybe that means that
something new is about to replace it.