Semi-OT: Why Kids Can't use Computers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 14 14:29:00 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 01:27:45AM -0400, Marc Lijour wrote:
> Don't get bogged down with specific expectations. The spirit of the
> curriculum is to get something done (action) in a fun way that allows
> students to learn something about programming (theory and practice).
>
> There is no silver bullet. Some faculty dislike programming classes in
> high school so they do their best to teach CS from scratch. The idea in
> high school is not to get students to become experts, but to focus on
> something they can truly learn and to allow them to develop a love and
> an objective appreciation of computer science.
>
> Computer science is also is terrific tool to teach other disciplines.
> Check this Google Engineer experience of Computer Science in Vietnam:
> https://neil.fraser.name/news/2013/03/16/

I know at least one person that did take CS courses in high school and
decided computer science wasn't interesting as a result.  That's how bad
high schools often are at teaching programming.  It's boring, trivial,
and pointless.

I suspect many colleges and universities would rather deal with students
that haven't already ben damaged by high school programming courses.
A lot less bad habits and misunderstandings to get rid of that way.

--
Len Sorensen