understanding probability

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 9 16:02:02 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 07:30:10PM +0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> I thought about commenting on this earlier.
>
> Infinity is just exactly the same abstract concept as 0, minus one,
> or even digit 1. It exists and does not exists at the same time in
> exactly the same manner. Or as "number" pi=3.154159256..., or e -
> the base of natural logarithm, or number sqrt(-1). Or aleph zero. Or
> as infinity to power of infinity, etc. And there we have for
> instance such beautiful relations between numbers of which each of
> them is perfectely abstract: -1 = e^(i*pi)
> [...]

Well infinity is NOT a number as such, at least not the way everything
else you listed is (well except the aleph ones, which are infinity
related).

pi is a specific value, as is e and i.  Sure they are irrational (or
complex in the case of i) but they are still specific numbers.

And infitity to the power of infinity makes no sense.  Power of isn't
defined for things that aren't numbers as far as I know.  Sure kids
trying to outdo each other in an argument may think it makes sense,
but it doesn't.

--
Len Sorensen