understanding probability

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 9 15:30:10 UTC 2013

On 09/08/13 19:03, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 5:40 AM, Eric B <gyre-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> To put it more simply, infinity doesn't exist.
> It's a highly convenient abstraction.  Just like having the "C" constant in an
> indefinite integral; it's not real, but highly, highly useul.

I thought about commenting on this earlier.

Infinity is just exactly the same abstract concept as 0, minus one, or
even digit 1. It exists and does not exists at the same time in exactly
the same manner. Or as "number" pi=3.154159256..., or e - the base of
natural logarithm, or number sqrt(-1). Or aleph zero. Or as infinity to
power of infinity, etc. And there we have for instance such beautiful
relations between numbers of which each of them is perfectely abstract:
-1 = e^(i*pi)
[...]
zb.