Raspberry PI Power

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 3 23:34:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Mike Kallies <mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 02/08/2013 4:26 PM, Scott Allen wrote:
>> Again, like ripple, this is something that you would need an
>> oscilloscope (or some other high bandwidth voltage min/max detector)
>> to see. A standard voltmeter wouldn't show it.
>
> There was a really great article about this a while back:
>
> http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html
>
> Detailed graphs of the power/voltage and overload characteristics of a
> breadth of chargers.

This is interesting. I went back through my USB power supplies, and it
turns out I have an Apple A1357 (apparently a real one). The Apple
A1357 is supposed to put out 2.1 amps @ 5.1 volts, but when I tested
thing again with that power supply, the result was the same (could not
get a usable WiFi connection). So, it seems that the Raspberry PI just
can not support the power demands of the Ourlink WiFi dongle and a
Logitech Unifying receiver... Disappointing...

I do appreciate the comments though...

Colin.