Dspam effectiveness

staticsafe me-3ZSMZGRXU0K2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 2 19:11:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 01:55:17PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> On 02/08/13 10:29 AM, staticsafe wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:23:17AM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
> >> Curious, anyone here have tried both dspam and SpamAssassin? Just curious
> >> if its worth trying dspam. From Wikipedia, it don't seem such effective,
> >> but have meet people who imply its far better than SpamAssassin.
> >>
> >> Haven't been following either through mailing list and there isn't a lot of
> >> recent discussion of the topic which is important considering dspam seem to
> >> have been sold a number of times.
> >
> > I took a brief look at dspam when implementing my mail server's antispam
> > system, but the documentation isn't that great, so I stuck with amavisd
> > (which uses spamassassin libraries for antispam).
>
> There are a few techniques that you can use before you even accept a
> message. I use a combination of Postscreen, remote block lists, and
> greylisting. I don't check inbound DKIM/SPF records, but those are
> useful if you want to use spamassassin as they are a good indicator of a
> valid message.
>
> Take a look here for more info on these tools:
> https://workaround.org/book/export/html/384
>
> Postscreen is relatively new but is very effective on a high volume mail
> server. http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html
>
> Cheers, Jamon

I use a similar setup as well. Postscreen with some
blacklists/whitelists for IP reputation based filtering and amavisd for
content filtering.

Content filtering isn't really needed that much for my purposes as I do
not receive enough spam to feed the SA Bayes DB, most of my mail
(mailing lists) is ham.

$ sa-learn --dump magic | egrep "spam|ham"
0.000          0        130          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0      84966          0  non-token data: nham

# Postscreen config
postscreen_dnsbl_sites = zen.spamhaus.org*3 b.barracudacentral.org*2
    bl.spameatingmonkey.net*2 dnsbl.ahbl.org bl.spamcop.net dnsbl.sorbs.net
    swl.spamhaus.org*-4 list.dnswl.org=127.[0..255].[0..255].0*-2
    list.dnswl.org=127.[0..255].[0..255].1*-3
    list.dnswl.org=127.[0..255].[0..255].[2..255]*-4

--
staticsafe
Please don't top post.