Raspberry PI Power

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 2 15:09:58 UTC 2013

Sorry about a subject line that sounds like a tacky children's
cartoon, but it is an issue I am looking at.

I wanted to set-up a Raspberry PI with a 19" LCD screen at my kitchen
table. Connected to the Raspberry PI I had an Ourlink WiFi dongle and
a Logitech Unifying receiver to support a wireless keyboard/mouse (*).
Initial set-up with several different "1 amp" output transformers had
the same result, the Raspberry PI ran, but the WiFi connection was
unusable. Powering the Raspberry PI off a 4 port USB hub that has a
2.6 amp power supply and moving the WiFi dongle to the hub has
resulted in a very solid set-up. So, power seems to be the issue, but
where is the question. Am I looking at :

- a Raspberry PI with noted accessories using more than 1 amp of power?
- transformers that claim to be "1 amp" not putting out 1 amp to the
Raspberry PI?
- a Raspberry PI getting enough power, but not being able to pass
enough to the accessories?
- another issue I have not thought of?

My ideal goal here is to have a LITTLE machine (**) that will let me
read on-line news headlines while having breakfast, so I would like to
be rid of the USB hub, ideally without spending more $ (in case anyone
asks, the USB hub power supply has an odd-ball connector so can't be
re-used directly with the Raspberry PI and the USB hub was bought
several years ago for a magazine article I was writing (ie: when
buying that USB hub, use with a Raspberry PI wasn't a consideration)).

Thoughts?

Thanks

Colin.

(*)  There is an issue with using both a keyboard and mouse with one
Unifying receiver under Linux. The solution to the issue can be seen
here : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/linux.kernel/zYS6yddI8yU/9cMvg3k9xTYJ
.

(**) For the Raspberry PI I bought a case from these folks
https://www.modmypi.com/shop . The nice thing about these cases is
that you can screw them directly onto any monitor that has 75 mm VESA
mounting holes (my 19" monitor being one such monitor). So, no
Raspberry PI on the kitchen table, just a monitor that is now a bit
thicker front to back...