Cutting the Cord Part 2: The Waiting

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 30 20:37:07 UTC 2013

So I'm now in the transition. Rogers has now sent me two "sorry to see you
go" pieces of mail, and I gave an exit interview in return for a promise of
a $15 Shoppers Drug card.

It appears that Rogers can' t differetiate between "cancelling a service"
and "leaving the company". Though I still have (and am reasonably happy
with) my mobile service, all of communications have taken the form of
"we're sorry you're leaving us".

Rogers now asks repeatedly if there is any deal they could make that would
keep me. Whenever asked my response has been consistent. "You had your
chance to keep me when I was punted to the retention department the day I
indicated my intention to cancel last week. You should have taken your best
shot then; I'm not into haggling. Having rejected that offer, at that point
I signed up with an alternate service that gave me a superior deal."

My FTTN modem/router has arrived. They refused to deliver it to the door,
it had to be picked up at a post office of my choosing. It's a Sagemcom
2864, plastered all over with Bell branding; it's apparently called the
Bell "Connection Hub". Too-sparse manuals included, awaiting the Bell tech
setup next week. Given that I'm going from Cable to DSL I have the luxury
of a two week transition period of having both Internets up.

I've taken delivery of a new server meant to do the double role of Plex
Server and MythTV. This presents some questions I will offer in the next
message.

I've also taken a greater interest in OTA reception, and may even build my
own antenna. It appears the homebuilds are cheap to do and generally out
perform the commercial stuff, whether a big
rig<http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/design.htm>or a little
indoor job <http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=123803>. And
(relevant here) the designs are GPL'd!

--